Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Telling Old-Wives' Tales :)

Hi there. Just wanna share some of the con stories that I've got from my mum recently. Have fun reading it. Here goes......
Everyone has a collection of tales to share that they inherited from their childhood. These are stories that stick in your head from the very moment you hear them. Tales that seem so far-fetched to us now but were so realistic when we were younger. Apparently based on legend, these stories would be used by mothers across the land to get their kids to do things. Some call them Old Wives' Tales - others or me call them con stories.
Take for example the one told to get kids to eat vegetables. I didn't really enjoy eating my veggies when I'm young. In fact, I didn't really enjoy eating any of my "greens" whatsoever, even if they were mushrooms white of carrot orange. But my mum had this strategy that always work on me whenever I wasn't keen on finishing what was on my plate (which was quite rare mind you) : If there was anything left, she would proceed to describe how the wasted food would climb out of the dustbin, scamper into the garden and cry out to GOD and ask why I hadn't eaten it. Pretty distressing for a five-year-old! Hehehehe... But she always have the last say. You're the BOSS mum. ;)
Mild hysteria would set in during the next couple of meals as images of rice and broccoli standing in the garden late at night crept into my imagination. On hindsight, that probably wasn't the best thing to do to the already plump (hehehe) infant with voracious appetite.
Food seemed to be a good reason to make up stories. There was this other time when I was told to make sure that I didn't swallow pips and seeds in fruits. The story was that if you accidentally consumed the seeds, they would grow into a tree inside your stomach, which would one day bear fruit. This would keep me awake late at night and would make me hesitant about eating larger fruits with bigger seeds.
Imagine what a durian would do, and imagine the torment I went through eating grapes.
A similar story was told when cautioning about the risk of swallowing chewing or bubble gum. Apparently, it would never be digested and would stay malignantly in the depths of your tummy. Formal education and biology classes finally put that tale (and mind) to rest.
Then there were the creative tales, like the ones we would hear when we asked our parents about where babies came from. Some of us were told that adoption was the only way child was introduced in a family.It was the easiest explanation that they could give at that moment. (Thank GOD).
As we grew up, the tales changed and evolved but continued relentlessly. There was the one when you were told not to laugh too much. Whenever you had a real good giggle about something, you were always warned that you were going to cry later that day. Sure enough, at some point of the day, as if by magic, you would end up crying about something, only to be told "I told you so". I've never really figured this one out till today. Why does too much laughter bring about sadness and tears?
Most people are also familiar with the tale about not going out to play at sunset. I still can't forget the infamous story about a young girl being enticed by an old lady to eat cendol (other variations included laksa and bee hoon goreng) at around Magrib or around 6:30pm - 7pm. In the end, she instead fed a bowl of worms and maggots by a witch. Or was it the "Penyamun?" As we got older, the tales evolved into taboos and things not "proper" to do. But the objective was still the same.
For example, how many of us have been told to leave some rice"for the pot", or to spill some water on your plate after you've eaten? I always do that when I drink my beer. Leave some when you're about to leave the pub so that the next time you come again, you'll get to drink MORE! Wooohooo.... (now I'm thirsty).
Who's been told never to give a clock or white flower as a present?
About not turning the fish over when it's served during dinner (Chinese New Year).
Who's been scolded for cutting their nails at night?
Or for sleeping with their hands between their legs (I've never figured this one out)?
Then there's the "don't go opening an umbrella in the house" or a snake will enter.
Finally, how many of us have got a good whack on the head when whistling after dark? Kurrrr... smengat!
I guess these tales will continue to be told up and down the land. I'm sure they're becoming more and more elaborate mothers become more creative.
With more forms of communication such as internet and television, these ideas are getting around quicker. Who knows what's in store in the future, and what we'll be telling our kids?
The hard core tales will nonetheless continue, as they have done for many years, handed down from generation to generation. It will be interesting to see if our kids will get smart enough not to fall for them or will they be just as gullible as we were? - Kwazi Frog.

No comments: